The basic principles for the Academic Appeal Policy at CCTCMA are as the follows:
- Fairness will be applied to all parties.
- Academic decisions should be made as close as possible to the level of academic expertise.
- A final grade appeal is solely based on the academic merits of a student’s work.
- A student must have one additional opportunity for review of a final grade assignment after consulting with an instructor.
- In the spirit of co-operation, students are not permitted representation of legal counsel.
- Appeal of Final Grade
There are three grounds for initiating an appeal of a final grade:
- The final grade was not calculated on all of the work completed and as indicated in the course outline.
- There was a miscalculation of the final grade, or
- There was an alleged unfair assessment of academic performance.
- Appeal Process
There are three levels to final grade appeal:
Level 1: Consultation with Instructor
A student who wishes to challenge the final grade awarded in a course should discuss the matter with the instructor before initiating a formal grade review or appeal.
Level 2: Final Grade Review – Member of Final Grade Appeal Committee
- A formal request for a Final Grade Review must be submitted to the Office no later than 20 business days after the end of the final exam period in which the grade was award.
- A member of Final Grade Appeal Committee is selected to conduct the review.
- The member of Final Grade Committee has the authority to take any action it feels is appropriate in adjudicating the grade review.
- The member of Final Grade Committee is responsible for notifying the student, and instructor in writing, of the decision
- A formal request for a Final Grade Appeal must be submitted to the Office no later than 10 business days after the decision from Level 2.
- The final grade appeal will be considered if, and only if the President is satisfied that there are ground for a level 3 appeal.
- The Final Grade Appeal Committee is established and composed of two faculty members and one student who is unfamiliar with the dispute and does not know the appellant.
- The Final Grade Committee has the authority to take any action it feels is appropriate in adjudicating the grade appeal.
- The Chair is responsible for notifying the student, and instructor in writing, of the decision.
See other policies:
Academic Evaluation (Exam) Policy
Health Care Insurance Policy for International Students
Student Complaint and Dispute Resolution Policy
The Policy of Disciplinary Procedure
The Policy of ‘Zero Tolerance’ Toward Violence
Standard Student Enrollment Contract with Tuition Refund Policy